Tuesday 28 February 2012

That Regulation – as a musical

Following my last blog post, I’ve been asked to submit an more light-hearted idea than a grand opera about the new data protection Regulation. Could I write a rousing libretto that was more focused on Europe – and had more jokes?

Well, I’ve turned my thoughts from the grand operas that Sir Tim Rice has penned to the work of another master, this time Alain Boublil. Yes, he of Les Miserables fame. So, again, I apologise in advance if some of the themes make a listener think too carefully of what happened in that glorious work.

Let me know what you think of my sketch for this number, which closes Act 1. It salutes the extremely hard work that is about to be carried out by our chums in DG Justice, and in other parts of the European Commission, as suggestions for revisions to the current text of the Regulation flow in and need to be considered. The number features our illustrious heroine, who again for no real reason I’m just calling Viviane, a draftsman, a data subject (but we don’t hear too much from him), choruses of regulators and professional advisors, and another cameo appearance from this interesting character called Data Protector.

"ONE MORE DRAFT"

VIVIANE
One draft more,
Another draft, another assault on your sanity,
This never ending road to infamy;
These men who seem to speak in rhyme
Will surely come a second time,
One draft more...


DRAFTSMAN
I cannot live another day,
How can I live with this I’ve drafted?


VIVIANE
One draft more...

THE REGULATORS
Tomorrow you'll be moved away,
But for us, our job’s just started.


DATA SUBJECT
One more go - all on my own

THE PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS
Will we ever agree on what it means, again?

THE DATA PROTECTION OFFICERS
One more draft with them not caring

DATA PROTECTOR
One more draft before the storm!
At the barricades of Freedom!
When our ranks begin to form,
Will you register on-line with me?


DATA SUBJECT
Do I follow where he goes!
Shall I join his brothers there!
Do I stay or do I dare?


ALL
The time is now
The place is here


VIVIANE
One draft more!

DRAFTSMAN
One more draft will ignite a revolution,
My reputation’s in the mud!
I will join these humble people,
This Regulation is a dud!


VIVIANE
One draft more!

...
(To be continued)
...

Standard disclaimer:
Naturally, all characters in this libretto are fictitious and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Image Credit:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi_qRhyphenhyphen89xm5zpo6Wrk-Zr42F2WghRPyM3cVQJUMuMHNplK92mVs4yKuILeoPlEjE3E2gR9j09VnxkUl4g8-a7xNsnphVhcuFPGeeq8_Ql59vbMfvsBGupYqVK2AuaZO4Ai1rlBkqrnCuRQ/s1600/EC_FLAG_2.jpg

.