Friday 24 August 2012

Security and Freedom @ the Turing Festival

I travelled to Edinburgh yesterday to enjoy a couple of days of laughs and bonhomie. Yes, you’ve guessed it. I’m attending a session at the Turing conference on security and freedom. Boy, will that be a bundle of joy.

Co-incidentally, the Edinburgh Festival is in full swing too, which is also a bit of a mixed blessing. I sat behind a well-known comic on the train to Edinburgh, and was subjected to a torrent of new material he was trying out on his fellow travellers, all of whom were screaming with laughter at each punch line. I didn’t think the gags were that funny, actually.

Anyway, after dinner, I popped over to one of the festival venues so see a show. Bad mistake. The headliner introduced, for one night only, a special guest to share the spotlight with him. Yes, you’ve guessed it. It was the comic I had the pleasure of hearing rehearse for 4 ½ hours earlier.

.