Thursday 4 July 2013

Should the Regulation fail ...




During the recent launch of the ICO’s Annual Report, conversation among some of the invited guests turned to the future of the General Data Protection Regulation. Would it (or anything like it) be passed before the next set of elections to the European Parliament took place? 

I wondered whether I should craft a lament in the event of its demise. 

So this little ditty has been penned in honour of all those dedicated folk in Petty France (and elsewhere) who have worked so hard to ensure that we have arrived at the stage that we currently are at.  

And it is to wish them all the best as they labour on, ensuring that everyone arrives safely at the next stage of what is a long and complex journey.



Hey ho, summer in the city
Johnny B is sitting pretty
But isn't it a pity
That the sunshine is followed by thunder
Thoughts turn to the Regulation going under
And is it any wonder
When so many people simply can’t agree

Tom seems to spend his whole life running
With people who would be
The death of you and me
And he can feel those DAPIX storm clouds
Sucking up his soul

Hey ho, life is getting faster
No one has the answer
We try to face each day now in a new way
'Cause everything’s a puzzle

Let's talk it out together, you and me
For at least a year we'd be free
Free to spend our working lives running
From people who would be
The death of you and me
'Cause we can feel those DAPIX storm clouds
Sucking up our souls

Needn’t flee the EC
Finally to be free
Free to spend our whole lives not hiding
From people who would be
The death of you and me
No need to feel those DAPIX storm clouds 

Sucking up our souls

I'm watching Mandy on my laptop
Won’t she ever stop
I see another Regulation dawning
It's rising over me, with its brutality
Already I can feel those DAPIX storm clouds
Sucking up my soul



Source:
With thanks to Noel Gallagher, who penned the lyrics to “The death of you and me.” Any reference to living individuals currently associated with the DAPIX process is, just in case I meet any of them tomorrow, naturally entirely reverential.


Image credit: