Wednesday 4 February 2015

The “pay rise at the ICO” skit

Industrial relations at the ICO are currently not at their best. I’ve been told that the Public and Commercial Services Union have recently used FOI legislation to ask the ICO for details about the process for executive pay awards at the ICO, and were advised that no information is available. They have complained to the regulator – the ICO.

This got me thinking. And, in a moment of madness, I jotted down the following skit, which is highly unlikely to feature at the ICO’s summer party later this year: 

[The phone rings - for a long time]

Call handler       
Wot?

Caller                 
Hello, is that the FOI helpdesk?

Call handler       
Wot?

Caller
I said, is that the FOI helpdesk? I want to get some information.

Call handler       
Yes it is. But your not gonner get much help here. We give out advice, not imformasion.

Caller
But I know my rights. And I know you’re got to help me.

Call handler       
Cummon. Don’t waste my time. Wot is it you want?

Caller
I said, I know my rights. I work for the ICO, you know. And I’m a member of the union.

Call handler       
Well, if you work for the ICO you know pretty well what we dish out. So, what’s yer problem?

Caller
Well, you know that we’ve all been denied a decent pay rise?

Call handler       
Yeah. Me too. (sniffs loudly)

Caller
Well, did you know that three senior ICO execs have been awarded an average 11% pay rise?

Call handler       
****! Have they? The *******!

Caller
Well, I want to make an FOI request. I want details about the process for those executive pay awards.

Call handler       
**** off! There ain’t no records. Tell that to the union.

Caller
What do you mean there aren’t any records? There must be!

Call handler       
I said **** off! There ain’t no records. You’re gonna get nuffink out of the ICO on this one. Put your bloody phone down and get on with some proper ICO work.

Caller
I’m not happy with that response. I wish to make a complaint. Who do I complain to?

Call handler       
If yer that pissed off then yer gonna have to write to the ICO. Tell em you’re making a complaint.

Caller
But I deal with complaints! You mean, I’ve got to write to myself to get my own complaint looked into?

Call handler       
Yep. Bung it in yer in tray and in a couple of months you can have a quick squint at it.

Caller
But I can’t deal with my own complaint! And my colleagues in the complaints department are just as unhappy about these pay rises as I am.

Call handler       
Don’t care nuffink abaat that one. Maybe one of the execs will deal with it.

Caller
But they can’t deal with a complaint about other ICO executives! That would be really inappropriate.

Call handler       
Don’t care nuffink abaat that either. Can't ya get the Commissioner to tell some tribunal to deal with it?

Caller
But its only a simple request for information. It surely isn't that hard to deal with.

Call handler       
Why should I care? I’m off soon. There’s a new pizza joint opening in Manchester next month, and they need decent waiting staff.

Caller
Oh is there? Can I have the details of the pizza joint instead, then, please -  'cos right now I wouldn’t mind a new job, either.

[Lights fade to applause]

.